Suffering from a bad case of saying the wrong thing at the worst time? There’s an explanation in the stars, blame it on the current Mercury Retrograde.
The first Mercury Retrograde of 2022 begins today Friday, January 14, in the sign of Aquarius. Then, the planet moves into Capricorn on Tuesday, January 25. When the swift-moving Mercury cruises backwards, we can expect.
- frustrating miscommunications, (be mindful of your thoughts)
- Be extremely careful with our language (I’m hopeless, I’m not good enough, I hate having this). It becomes a Genie – ‘Your wish is my command, and so be it!’
- technological meltdowns, (back up phones, computers, data, etc)
- and travel mishaps. (delayed, accidents etc) (I am safe and protected always mantra)
While the first Mercury retrograde starts today, its shadow period began on Wednesday, December 29, 2021. During this ‘shadow’ time, we began to feel the effects of retrograde, although they are less intense than when things go full swing, from today. OMG No!.
On top of that, planet VENUS is still retrograde during this time, as it has been since Sunday, December 19. Venus rules love (our heart), beauty, and abundance, while it is in retrograde, it can be. Keep coming back to your heart space rather than being in your head to deal with it, have compassion for yourself and others during this time.
With Mercury and Venus in retrograde together, it’s not an ideal time to tackle significant relationship conversations. Because Venus also rules money, this may also be a frustrating time to
- collect outdated invoices or
- schedule important professional meetings
- sign important documents
- navigate relationships
Thankfully, the Venus goes direct on Saturday, January 29. Shortly after, the first Mercury retrograde ends on Thursday, February 3, with a sigh of relief. If you can, hold off on having potentially sensitive conversations surrounding money, sex, and love until both planets end their backward dance. To be sure to be sure, make it February 5th!
While communication will become easier on this date, the shadow period (yes, there’s one on both ends of every retrograde) lingers until Wednesday, February 23. It should be fine to sign important documents again during both shadow periods, but make sure to triple-check the fine print.
What exactly is Mercury retrograde?
- Mercury — named after the Roman deity who served as a messenger to the gods — is the quick-moving planet that governs communication, travel, and technology.
- It helps us transmit messages by controlling both what we say and how we process what we hear from others.
- Three or four times per year, Mercury appears to go backwards in the sky, retrograde, this particular retrograde has the potential to screw up all things related to communication and transmission.
- This time period is the planetary reflection of “measure twice cut once,” and offers three chances, in 2022, to make sure our work and choices are perfect. The first occurs when Mercury initially crosses a degree in the sky during a period known as its pre-retrograde shadow. The second happens when Mercury is retrograde and reverses back over this degree, which is when mistakes may be reviewed and corrected. Our final chance to move forward is when Mercury makes its final crossing over the degree, during what is known as a post-retrograde shadow. Basically, the effects of Mercury retrograde start to kick in about two weeks before the planet begins to appear to move backwards from the earth, and clean-up continues for up to two weeks after the retrograde ends.
- During a Mercury retrograde period, it’s important to be extremely careful of our language. Triple-check every text, email, and DM, and take the time to carefully explain your intentions. Typos and Freudian slips are bound to happen.
- Decision-making skills may also be muddled, so avoid signing any major contracts during this period (although, if you must, be sure to thoroughly read the fine print).
- When it comes to technology, Mercury retrograde may be to blame for any massive electronic meltdowns, so it’s advisable to not buy any new gadgets for the next three weeks (or if you do, make sure they come with a warranty).
- And if you’re going to travel, build in time for delays, cancellations, and wrong turns, WITH travel insurance.
- Last, but certainly not least, we can always expect people (skeletons) from the past — including former lovers — to re-emerge during Mercury retrograde. In many cases, it’s best to kindly decline unexpected coffee invites and “innocent” proposals to grab drinks. They are here for you to heal the past, learn our lessons and create new energetic boundaries!
Surviving Mercury retrograde is pretty simple:
- Remember to proofread everything, choose your words carefully, avoid signing contracts (or review them extra diligently), back up your data, and plan for travel mishaps.
- Let Mercury retrogrades serve as your quarterly self-assessment.
- How prepared are you for inconveniences?
- How’s your self-care routine when things go wrong, and you self- punish?
- Treat this time for reflection and new direction
- Staying on top of correspondence, especially with close friends and family. The unique spirit of the Aquarius sign fuels this retrograde, which has
- an aloof nature and can forget to text or call back.
- We are more likely to space out and fail to respond to an important email or leave a lover or loved one hanging.
- Be mindful, not just careful, at all times!
As communication is a massive part of our daily lives, frustrations are to be expected when Mercury the messenger planet goes reverse, yes it can be annoying and cause some mishaps, but they’re not the end of the world, they are actually helping us. You’ve been through it before plenty of times and will get through it this year, too. Dates for Mercury retrograde in 2022?
- January 14 to February 3: The pre-retrograde shadow begins December 29, 2021, post-retrograde shadow ends February 23.
- May 10 to June 3: The pre-retrograde shadow begins April 25, post-retrograde shadow ends June 18.
- September 9 to October 2: The pre-retrograde shadow begins August 22, post-retrograde shadow ends October 16.
- December 29 to January 18, 2023: The pre-retrograde shadow begins December 12, post-retrograde shadow ends February 23, 2023.
Full Moon Meditation Ceremony is Tuesday 18th January 6.30 pm – please book and pay here